Celebrities will do almost anything for publicity. Whether this was done for attention or not isn't certain but, Rihanna's newest song "Birthday Cake" surely raised a few eyebrows. The lyrics themselves are already risque, and although this is something Rihanna is known for, it isn't what she was saying so much as who she is saying it to. When Rihanna released her CD Talk That Talk, "Birthday Cake" was just a snippet that, in my personal opinion, was a perfect song for Rihanna. I could not wait to hear who she was going to collaborate with. I felt that there were so many possible artists for her to team up with, but I never imagined her choosing Chris Brown. As if Rihanna and Chris Brown's rekindled relationship wasn't controversial enough, the song just put it over the top. Being that the song itself is overtly sexual, putting Chris on the track made people very uncomfortable. With their very public domestic violence issue being just under three years ago, it was a shock that this, of all songs, was the song she chose to incorporate Chris on! I feel that the song not only is too much for people to handle right now, but it was a bad idea to put their relationship back on the map through by using it! Maybe if it were more romantic, or even a song about forgiveness. Nope, they chose to go the shocking route. Typical. Could it be that I'm being too sensitive when it comes to domestic violence? I mean, she only had pictures that went viral of her beaten up face covered with dry blood and bruises. Noelle
You decide:
(WARNING: includes explicit content)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWk-RH-tkI
No comments:
Post a Comment