Monday, March 5, 2012

Introduction and Dr. Dre Beats – Legit Professional Studio Headphones?


Hello and welcome to our music blog. Just a brief introduction about me - my name is John, and music has been my side hobby since I was young. I started piano at around 5-6 years old and was classically trained up until the middle of high school where I completely lost interest. I slowly got back into it sometime in college, and started learning guitar as well. I progressed quickly enough to start amateur recording/mixing and have been doing it for less than a year. My blog posts will range from product reviews related to music and discussion of issues that are prevalent in the music world from a mixer/producer and behind the scenes perspective.

So over the weekend I bought the Dr.Dre Beats at the urging of a friend. I wanted to hear for myself what the hype was all about so I plunged $400 for the Dr. Dre Beats Professional Headphone. For comparison’s sake I also have an Audio Technica ATH-M50s and a Sennheiser HD600. Both are well-reviewed headphones and are widely used in professional studios.

My impressions: The Beats seem to be rock solid durable and is comfortable to wear. They also look great and are very fashionable. I listened to a variety of genres on them including trance, dubstep, hip-hop, R&B, pop, jazz, rap, classical, rock, and metal. Sound isolation is good, the highs are clear, but the bass too exaggerated and boomy at higher volumes to the point it starts to drown out the other details of a song. Rap, hip-hop, pop, R&B and electronic music especially shine. However, rock, metal, classical and jazz genres leave a bit more to be desired when plugged into these cans.

I prefer to listen to the music as the artists/mixers intended it to sound, so I rank sonic accuracy very high. In summary, they are decent-to-good trendy headphones FOR REGULAR AND CASUAL CONSUMER USE. If you are an audiophile or need headphones for studio work, steer clear because there are sub-$200 headphones that can paint a far more accurate picture of your mix without coloring your sound. In comparison to my ATH-M50s and HD600, the accuracy, detail, and definition are just not there in the Beats. Now the Beats aren’t bad headphones, but you can find much better for $400. I will probably be returning mine later this week.

 
Until next week.
-John

2 comments:

musicislife said...

I appreciate your insightful review on these headphones. As soon as I saw them I knew that they were just a flashy consumer product rather than a quality product to use. I don't know why they became so popular. If I choose to spend $400, I want to spend it on reliable, high-quality equipment any day of the week.

techcomm12 said...

They look awesome and i have seen a lot of people who like them, but i also have heard a lot of stories of them breaking easily. And the cost is also something that is a little high for me at least. My earbuds that come with my ipod will have to do for now.

-Craig J